Filing A Claim with the Municipality of South Dundas

If you believe the Municipality of South Dundas has been negligent in their delivery of services including maintenance of a Municipal facility, roads, trees and sewers which has caused bodily injury or damage to your property, you can file a claim against the Municipality of South Dundas. Please note that this does not include any County roads, property, infrastructure, etc. Any issues regarding the County must be directed to the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.

Making a Claim
What is Negligence?
Claims Involving Independent Contractors
Fraudulent Claims
What to include in your Claim
Submitting your Claim
Response Time

Making A Claim

Any damage to your property can be upsetting and disruptive; however, it’s important to know that the Municipality of South Dundas is not your insurer.

If you have auto or property insurance, we suggest you consult your insurance broker first, for advice on how to deal with your loss. Your insurance coverage may be more  extensive than what you can recover from the Municipality.

If your insurer believes the Municipality is responsible for your damages, they may seek compensation against the Municipality on your behalf.

What is the difference between making a claim through my insurance company and making a claim against the Municipality of South Dundas?

Making a claim through your insurance company means that you are taking advantage of your insurance coverage for your personal assets according to your insurance policy.

Making a claim against the Municipality of South Dundas is a third-party liability claim, which means you believe the Municipality has been negligent in delivery of their services including maintenance of facilities, roads, trees and sewers, causing bodily injury and/or damage to your property, and you are seeking compensation.

What is Negligence?

The Municipality of South Dundas has an obligation to maintain its facilities and infrastructure. In doing so, it must  exercise a reasonable standard of care. The Municipality may be found negligent if it fails to meet the appropriate standard of care, and that failure results in damage or injury to the public.

If the Municipality did not exercise a reasonable standard of care, the Municipality may be found negligent. In that circumstance, the Municipality will attempt to resolve your claim. Any compensation paid to you will be based on proof of damage that has arisen as result of the Municipality’s negligence. If the Municipality did exercise a reasonable standard of care, your claim will be denied.


Third party liability claims will take more time as an investigation will be conducted by the Municipality and/or
adjusters to determine if the
Municipality was negligent, causing damage.

Payment from the Municipality is not guaranteed. If the Municipality is found to be negligent, the amount that you would receive in compensation is limited to its current value, not its replacement value.

Claims Involving Independent Contractors

The Municipality of South Dundas provides many services with its own staff; however, occasionally independent contractors are used for services such as major construction projects, garbage collection, etc. If these independent contractors cause damage to others while carrying out their work, the Municipality’s agreements require the contractors to deal with these claims directly. 

Fraudulent Claims

Fraudulent claims cost all ratepayers. The Municipality will prosecute all fraudulent claims to the full extent of the law.

Your Claim Must Include:

Contact Information

  • Name of claimant
  • Mailing address
  • Phone number
  • Email address

Include the above information of the person submitting the claim if different from the claimant.


  • Date of the occurrence
  • Time of day

Description of occurrence

  • Briefly describe the actions leading up to your loss or injury

Type of damage or injury

  • Provide details of your damage or injury

Name of other parties involved

  • Advised if there are other parties involved in this occurrence other than the Municipality
    ie. Contractor, Developer


  • Provide photographs of your
    damages and the locations where the incident occurred.

Submitting your Claim

All claims must be submitted in writing; this can be done by mail, email, fax or delivery to the Municipal Office. Remember to include all of the information the Municipality will require to properly process and assess your claim.

To submit your claim, you can use the following methods:

Regular Mail:

Municipality of South Dundas
Attention: Brenda Brunt, Clerk
34 Ottawa Street P.O. Box 740
Morrisburg, ON
K0C 1X0

Fax: 613-543-1076

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Response Time:

The Municipality of South Dundas will acknowledge receipt of your claim as soon as possible. An investigation into your loss will be completed by the Municipality or an independent insurance adjuster. Please note that it may take several weeks to complete an investigation. Once the investigation is complete, the Municipality or independent insurance adjuster will follow up with you on the Municipality’s position.


What is "charitable gaming" and how is it regulated?
What is a "lottery scheme"?
Who can get a license to conduct a lottery event?
What is considered ineligible use of proceeds?
What lottery schemes do municipalities license?
How does my organization apply for a lottery license?
List of Licenses and Reports

What is “charitable gaming” and how is it regulated?

“Charitable gaming” refers to lottery schemes permitted by a licence under the Criminal Code of Canada. Typically these may include bingos, raffles, break open tickets, and bazaar gaming events held by charitable and religious organizations.

Charitable organizations are regulated by licensing policies and the terms and conditions of the licences issued by the province or municipalities under authority of an Order-in Council. The commercial sector of the charitable gaming industry is regulated by the Gaming Control Act, 1992 and accompanying Regulations.

What is a “lottery scheme”?

A “lottery scheme” may be defined as any scheme that has the following three components:

  • a prize;
  • a chance to win the prize; and
  • a consideration or fee.

Therefore, if money is paid or other consideration is given for a chance to win the prize then it is considered to be a lottery scheme.

However, there are many types of lottery schemes for which licences are not available. Promotional contests that are carried out by companies to promote products and increase sales cannot be licensed to operate a lottery because they are not charitable. For that reason, a company must ensure that the contest does not fall within the definition of a lottery scheme.

Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions including the types of organizations eligible for a lottery license, what events are provincially licenced, what events are municipally licensed, and how the licencing process works.

Who can get a license to conduct a lottery event?

Canada’s Criminal Code permits charitable and religious organizations to conduct a lottery scheme to raise funds once a license is issued. Organizations must have a demonstrated charitable or religious mandate to qualify. Charitable refers to organizations which provide programs for:

  • relief of poverty;
  • advancement of education;
  • advancement of religion; and
  • other charitable purposes beneficial to the community.

To be considered eligible for a lottery license, each organization must:

  • Have been in existence for at least one (1) year before being considered eligible for lottery licenses;
  • Have provided charitable community services consistent with the primary objectives and purposes of the organization for at least one (1) year;
  • Have a place of business in Ontario;
  • Demonstrate that is established to provide charitable services in Ontario and use proceeds for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents; and
  • Assume full responsibility for the conduct and management of its lottery events.

The primary purposes of an organization are determined by considering:

  • The mandate of the organization as set out in its incorporation documents or documents stating the organization’s objects;
  • The objects of the organization as described in the license application; and
  • The services which have actually been provided by the organization to the community.

What is considered ineligible use of proceeds?

Proceeds from lottery licenses may not be used for the following:

  • Academic and sports awards and trophies;
  • Volunteer recognition
  • Fundraising activities, including wages for fundraiser and the cost of promotional materials;
  • The provision of services for which the organization receives government funding or which the organization is required by law to provide;
  • Legal Fees/costs incurred by the organization;
  • Accounting fees, except as provided for by the terms and conditions of the lottery license;
  • Out of pocket expense for volunteers to participate in the licensed lottery event, except as provided for by the terms and conditions of the lottery license.

The above list is not intended to be exhaustive but to simply provide some examples of ineligible use of proceeds.

What lottery schemes do municipalities license?

A municipality may issue licenses to conduct the following lottery events:

  • Bingo events with prize boards $5,500 and under;
  • Media bingo events;
  • Ticket raffle lotteries for total prized $50,000 and under;
  • All break open ticket lotteries not licensed by the provincial office; and
  • Bazaar Gaming Events.

How does my organization apply for a lottery license?

Determine what type of lottery scheme your organization intends to conduct, and:

  • Application for Lottery Licensing First Time Questionnaire
  • Obtain the appropriate application form from the municipal office
  • Complete the form according to the instructions on the form and the policies or guide as set out for the lottery event.

License Applications and Reports

 Bingo Application

 Bingo Report

 Raffle Lottery Application

 Raffle Report

 Break Open Ticket Application

 Break Open Ticket Report

 Blanket Raffle Application

 Blanket Raffle Report

For more information regarding lottery licenses, please call 613-543-2673 or visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.

The Municipality of South Dundas administrative personnel are responsible for implementing policies and practices that reflect Council decisions as well as meeting statutory requirements of provincial law. This includes information on accessibility and marriages and licensing.

This information is provided to the public through a variety of communication tools.

Customer Feedback

The Municipality of South Dundas is committed to continuous improvement and open communication with the public in an approach where all complaints are dealt with fairly in a respectful, transparent manner and as quickly as possible.

Customer Feedback Policy 

Customer Feedback Form

South Dundas Fire and Emergency Services remains active in providing public education, enforcement and emergency management efforts with an emphasis on preparing efficient community responses.

Working effectively with neighbouring Townships and regional and provincial authorities, it remains a strong priority to assist in the continued education and safety of South Dundas residents. South Dundas Fire and Emergency Logo

South Dundas Fire and Emergency Services can be contacted regarding any fire safety concerns, issues or fire inspections.




The Municipality of South Dundas uses a variety of mediums to communication information with the public. For more information, please view our Communications Policy.


Photo Credits
Social Media
Community Guide

Photo Credits

Homepage Banner Photo: John Gleed, St. Lawrence Piks
Business Banner Photo: Warren Schneckenburger
Visit Banner Photo: St. Lawrence Parks Commission
Council Banner Photo: Lori Cook

Website is your portal for online municipal information. Find daily updates about the Municipality, Community Calendar of Events, Recreation News, Public Notices and more.

Social Media

South Dundas is also active on social media! Follow us on Twitter @southdundaslive, Facebook at and LinkedIn.

Community Guide

South Dundas 360 is a bi-annual publication that provides information on Recreation Programs, Municipal Services and Community Information.

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Fall/Winter 2017-2018)

Past Editions:

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Spring/Summer 2017)

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Fall/Winter 2016)

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Spring/Summer 2016)

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Fall/Winter 2015-2016)

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Spring/Summer 2014)

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Fall/Winter 2014-2015)

South Dundas 360 Community Guide (Spring/Summer 2015)


The South Dundas Minute by Minute Municipal Newsletter is available by email once a month. To sign up to receive the newsletter, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. A paper newsletter is mailed to residents once a year, typically in the month of December. 

Electronic Newsletters Archive

January/February 2017

October/November 2016

September/October 2016

August/September 2016

July/August 2016

June/July 2016

May/June 2016

April/May 2016

March/April 2016

March 2016

January/February 2016 

December 2015

October/November 2015

August/September 2015

July/August 2015

June/July 2015

May/June 2015

April/May 2015

March/April 2015

February/March 2015

January/February 2015

November 2014

October 2014

September 2014

August 2014

July 2014

June 2014

May 2014

April 2014

March 2014