Prevent Electrical Fires

South Dundas Fire and Emergency Services logo

How do I prevent an electrical fire?

  • -Check cords for damage such as fraying or nicks. A damaged cord can expose wires and result in a potential shock or fire hazard.
    -Avoid running cords under rugs, which can damage the cord and cause a fire.
    -Extension cords should be used only as a temporary connection. If permanent wiring is required, have additional outlets installed by a licensed electrician. Extension cords should not be linked together - use an extension cord that is long enough to do the job.
    -Air conditioners and other heavy appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet.
               -Avoid overloading a circuit with "octopus outlets". If additional outlets or circuits are required, have them installed by a licensed electrician

Social Media

South Dundas Fire and Emergency Services are active on social media, providing need-to-know updates, tips to stay safe, and some fun things we think you might like!

Like the SDFES on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, and Follow on Pinterest