The South Dundas Planning, Building & By-Law Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of various by-laws (including Property Standards, Nutrient Management & Animal Control).

The Department also enforcement Provincial Regulations and Policies such as the Ontario Building Code Act (OBC), Planning Act and Drainage Act. This is accomplished through the issuance of building, demolition and other related permits and by conducting inspections.


The Municipality of South Dundas regulates and restricts dogs within the Municipality. For more information, please contact Kevin Casselman, Canine Control Officer at 613-543-2980 or 613-913-1476.

Dog Tags

Each year, the owner of a dog must register the dog with the municipality and purchase a “dog tag”. The tag must be securely affixed on the dog at all times.  There is a maximum of 3 dogs per location. Small white dog

Dog tags may be purchased at the Municipal Office, SDG County Library - Morrisburg, Iroquois and Williamsburg Branches, or purchased from an authorized vendor during his/her annual door-to-door visit. Dog kennel licenses are available for kennel owners. If you are a kennel owner and would like more information on how to obtain a kennel license, please contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

For your convenience, the Dog Tag Form is available online. 

Be a Responsible Pet Owner

  1. Register your dog with the Municipality on an annual basis.
  2. Do not allow your dog to bark persistently.
  3. Have your dog vaccinated against rabies.
  4. Always maintain proper control of your dog at all times while walking it.
  5. Always pick up your dog’s feces.

Wild Animals

The Municipality of South Dundas does not remove wildlife from private properties. Property owners should contact a licensed pest control or licensed trapper to assist with the removal of wildlife, such as racoons and skunks.

If you or a domestic animal has come into contact with a wild animal suspected of having rabies, please seek medical attention and contact the Ministry of Natural Resources at 1-800-667-1940.

For more information on Animal Control, please view the Animal Control Bylaw.

The Drainage Department is responsible for the maintenance of all Municipal drains, the processing of tile drainage loan applications as well as any nuisance beaver activity.

Tile Drainage Loans

The Municipality of South Dundas offers tile drainage loans to qualified applicants. To qualify for a tile drainage loan:

  1. You must be an active farmer.
  2. Amount of loan request cannot exceed 75% of the total cost of the project, up to a maximum of $50,000 per fiscal year.
  3. All work must be carried out in accordance with the Agricultural Tile Drainage Installation Act.

Should the applicant be granted a loan, the Drainage Superintendent must report to Council that all work has been satisfactorily completed before any funds are advanced by way of loan.

Council shall levy and collect for the term of ten years, over and above all other rates upon the land in respect of which the loan is made, a special equal annual rate sufficient to discharge the principal and interest of the loan. To apply, please visit the OMAFRA website.



Building and demolition is regulated by the Ontario Building Code and enforced by the Municipality. All building and demolition must meet the requirements set out in the Code, along with any other applicable legislation.

Are you starting a new household project?

Under the Ontario Building Code, a building permit is required for the construction or alteration of any structure over 10 meters square (108 sq. ft.) in area. It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained prior to any of the construction taking place.  

Fast FAQs

What is a building permit?
Why are building permits needed?
What types of projects require a building permit in South Dundas?
Where can I find more information?
Building Permit Application
Pool Permit Application
Building Permit Fees

What is a building permit?

The province of Ontario has designed a set of construction standards intended to offer a level of life safety and health in the buildings where they live, work and play. Obtaining a building permit ensures that your home and other buildings meet these standards in the Ontario Building Code.

Why are building permits needed?

Building permits are necessary to ensure that applicable provincial laws, zoning requirements and fire and structural safety standards are met.

What types of projects require a building permit in South Dundas?

The types of projects that require a building permit include but are not limited to:

  • Pools
  • Roofed Porches
  • Sunrooms
  • Carports
  • Attached or detached garages or sheds
  • Additions
  • New or structural alterations; example: larger windows and doors, load bearing walls, etc.
  • Adding and removing most walls
  • Any new buildings including farm buildings and structures
  • Addition of a bedroom in a basement
  • Changing the use or occupancy of a building

Where can I find more information?

Please contact the Building Department at 613-543-2673 regarding your projects and the required permits.

The Building Department has various forms and applications for building projects:

Building Permit Application

Pool Permit Application

Permit Fees