The South Dundas Planning Department can assist you with matters pertaining to:

Zoning Bylaw

The Zoning Bylaw is a more detailed land use regulatory document identifying specific provisions that may apply to the potential use of land (i.e. including buildings and structures). Council must have regard for Provincial Planning policies as well as for compliance with the Official Plan when reviewing development proposals and land use. Council may consider amendments to the Zoning By-law in accordance with the requirements of the Ontario Planning Act.

For more information, please view the Municipality of South Dundas Official Plan Application Form and Zoning By-Law 2010-48. To view the official plan, please visit the United Counties website.

Zoning Compliance Letters

Individuals, solicitors, financial institutions and other interested parties may request a written confirmation of a land use, building or structure compliance to Zoning Bylaw and other applicable requirements. Such a request should be directed to the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


One of the most frequent means of subdividing land is by consent to sever. The approval body for these development forms must have regard for provincial planning policies as well as ensuring compliance to the Official Plan and, subsequently, the Zoning Bylaw and other relevant requirements.

Please view the United Counties website for further information and applications under the official plan, consents/severances, or subdivisions.

Minor Variance/Committee of Adjustment

The Approval Body for minor variances, the extension of legal non-conforming uses and certain use and definitions is the Municipality of South Dundas Committee of Adjustment. 

Site Plan Control

Site plan control is most frequently applicable to commercial, industrial, institutional and large multi unit residential proposals. Other lands that have exceptional site specific issues may also be subject to site plan control. Through this mechanism the Municipality can ensure compliance to all applicable municipal and agency requirements and that all required on-site features (e.g. parking, setbacks, landscaping, drainage, lighting, signage and other matters) are maintained over time. Applications for, and an amendment to, a site plan can be made by contacting the Municipality’s Planning Department.