Popular Pages
Menu

SDFES Issues Reminder on Electrical Safety as Holidays Approach

Due to recent house fires in South Dundas, South Dundas Fire & Emergency Services (SDFES) would like to remind the public about Electrical Safety.

“During the holidays, it can be very tempting to plug multiple decorations into extension cords,” explains Cameron Morehouse, Director of Fire & Emergency Services. “This can overload circuits and create overheating, potentially resulting in a fire.”

According to Statistics Canada, electrical distribution was the second leading cause of structural loss in Ontario between 2012-2016. “With an average of 636 fires per year in Ontario, it’s important that residents of South Dundas do all they can to minimize the risks.”

Chief Morehouse has provided 5 key tips on keeping you and your family electrical safe this holiday season:

* Replace damaged electrical products (including cords, plugs and ornaments).

* Avoid plugging too many lights or decorations into an outlet. Overloaded circuits can overheat and start a fire.

* Buy holiday decorations that have the mark of an accredited certification agency on the package.

* Don’t run extension cords under carpets, through doorways or in places where they can be damaged by furniture.

* Keep an eye on pets that may chew or damage electrical cords.

South Dundas Fire & Emergency Services has a Facebook page that offers many tips on keeping fire safe (www.southdundas.com/SouthDundasFireEmergencyServices).

In addition, the Electrical Safety Authority and Office of the Fire Marshal have numerous resources for the public.