Popular Pages

COVID-19 Update

What is Social Distancing?

Social Distancing means staying at home as much as possible, and avoid non-essential trips in the community. Read more on the Eastern Ontario Health Unit website. 

What is Self-Isolation?

Self-Isolation means stay at home for 14-days monitoring yourself for symptoms, or until 24-hours free of symptoms. Do not go out into the community during self-isolation as you may infect others with the virus. Read more about who needs to self-isolate and how on the Eastern Ontario Health Unit website. 

What are the symptoms and what to do? 

Symptoms of COVID-19 are common to a number of respiratory illnesses, and can range from mild to severe: fever, cough and respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. If you suspect you have contracted the virus, or are experiencing symptoms, call the Eastern Ontario Health Unit at 1-800-267-7120. If you are experiencing severe symptoms or in the event of an emergency, call 9-1-1. Advise the operator of your symptoms and travel history. Do not call or go to the hospital with NON-severe symptoms. Visit the Eastern Ontario Health Unit website for more guidelines. 


Find the latest news from South Dundas regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic at the links below.

SD Media Release – COVID-19 Update March 13

SD Media Release – COVID-19 Update March 17

SD Media Release – By-Law Officers to enforce COVID-19 regulations

SD Media Release – Phase One Openings

EOHU Media Release – Local Health Units Announce Regional Approach to Mandatory Masks

Winchester COVID-19 Assessment Centre Introduces New Appointment System- September 2020

Ontario Announces Lower Limits on Social Gatherings Across Province

Temporary COVID-19 Testing Centre Opening in Parking Lot at Calypso Waterpark in Limoges

All COVID-19 Testing Centres Changing to Appointment Only

From the Mayor

South Dundas Mayor Steven Byvelds provides regular updates to the COVID-19 situation. Read his statements at the links below.

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update March 13

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update March 19

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update March 25

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update March 27

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update March 30

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update April 3

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update April 9

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update April 24

Mayor Byvelds COVID-19 update July 7

Assessment Centres

Winchester Assessment Centre

The COVID-19 Assessment Centre at the Lions Hall in Winchester is open this week from 12 to 6 pm each day. Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms (such as fever and worsening cough), is first encouraged to go to the Ministry of Health’s website and complete a self-assessment online and follow the recommendations. You can also contact your primary care provider or call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000. People with moderate, worsening (but non-severe) symptoms may be referred to the assessment centre. The decision to test will be based on Ministry of Health guidelines. For details about the Assessment Centre, visit www.wdmh.on.ca/assessmentcentre.

Winchester Assessment Centre – Press Release

Winchester Assessment Centre – Fact Sheet

Cornwall Assessment Centre

Cornwall Assessment Centre – Press Release

For Businesses

On September 25, 2020 the Province of Ontario implemented new public health measures which will require businesses or organizations to comply with any advice, recommendations, and instructions issued by the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health on screening for COVID-19. To read the COVID-19 Screen Tool for Workplaces (Businesses and Organizations) please click here.

We understand that businesses are facing an unprecedented and uncertain time. The Municipality is working to develop a plan to help our businesses navigate the Pandemic. For financial program opportunities, best practices and the latest resources, click here. 

For Residents

Who to call?

  • Eastern Ontario Health Unit
    1-800-267-7120 (8:00 am-8:00 pm)
  • Telehealth Ontario
    1-866-797-0000 (24-Hour)
  • Emergencies
  • ConnexOntario (Mental Health Support)
    1-866-531-2600 (24-Hour)
  • South Dundas Municipal Office
    613-543-2673 (8:30 am-4:30 pm Monday to Friday)
  • J.W. MacIntosh Community Support Services (Seniors)
  • MP Eric Duncan 

For Seniors

In response to the rapidly changing COVID-19 landscape, Champlain Community Support Network has put together a dedicated website where seniors can request community support services that are currently available in our region.   The online referral site is: https://communitysupport.covidresponse.ca/

The site is available in both English and French and focuses on four key services:

  • Grocery and pharmacy delivery
  • Transportation to medical appointments
  • Telephone safety checks
  • Meals on Wheels

Services can be requested by residents as well as service providers.  Individuals will complete a simple online request form indicating the needed services and their location. Requests for service will then be routed to the appropriate Community Support agency based on the location of the client. Seniors and adults with disabilities in South Dundas will be referred to J. W. MacIntosh Community Support Services.


Please note mail delivery of property tax bills will be slightly delayed as postal service is impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Property tax payment deadlines have been postponed by the Municipality for 2020 to accommodate residents. First instalment property tax payments are due August 31, 2020 and second instalment property tax payments are due October 30, 2020.

Municipal Office

The Municipality is now welcoming the public to the South Dundas Municipal Centre. Municipal services will be available in the South Dundas Municipal Centre Lobby as of July 8. A staff member will be present to assist visitors with questions, applications, payments and more. We ask that you remember to respect physical distancing and mask guidelines.

MP Eric Duncan’s satellite office in Morrisburg will be closed until further notice. To contact the MP please call 1-888-805-2513.

Matilda Landfill & Waste Collection

The Municipality of South Dundas will not be increasing the curbside pick-up bag limit beyond two bags per week. Additional bags may be purchased at The Pizza Castle Morrisburg, Mustards Convenience Store in Iroquois, Brinston General Store in Brinston for $1.25.

In order to promote diversion efforts, the Municipality encourages residents to take this time to commit to recycling and composting efforts. The South Dundas Recycle Coach app provides useful information to identify recyclable materials and proper procedures. Additionally, the Morrisburg Compost Site remains open for public use. In order to protect staff the Iroquois Compost Site remains closed at this time. The Matilda Landfill is open. Strict safety procedures will be followed. Staff ask that the community only use the landfill when absolutely necessary to reduce the amount of users at the landfill at one time.

There will not be a free residential waste voucher this year as the Landfill is approaching capacity. Instead, the Municipality will focus on diversion efforts for recycling and composting.

Unable to work?

Unable to work due to the COVID-19 Pandemic? The federal government has the Canada Emergency Response Benefit if you have lost income because of COVID-19. The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) will provide you with temporary income support. The CERB will provide you with $500 a week for up to 16 weeks.

Building Permits

As part of the Provincial opening stage one, all construction will be permitted granted that proper safety and social distancing procedures are followed. For more information on obtaining a building permit, please follow the link here.

2020 Assessments Postponed
The Ontario government has announced that the 2020 Assessment Update has been postponed. They have indicated that property assessments for the 2021 property tax year will continue to be based on the fully phased-in January 1, 2016 current values. This means your property assessment for the 2021 property tax year will be the same as the 2020 tax year, unless there have been changes to your property.