The Municipality of South Dundas
Popular Pages


If you believe the Municipality of South Dundas has been negligent in their delivery of services including maintenance of a Municipal facility, roads, trees and sewers which has caused bodily injury or damage to your property, you can file a claim against the Municipality of South Dundas. Please note that this does not include any County roads, property, infrastructure, etc. Any issues regarding the County must be directed to the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.

Below you will find information about the process of filing a claim against the Municipality of South Dundas.

Making a Claim

Any damage to your property can be upsetting and disruptive; however, it’s important to know that the Municipality of South Dundas is not your insurer.

If you have auto or property insurance, we suggest you consult your insurance broker first, for advice on how to deal with your loss. Your insurance coverage may be more  extensive than what you can recover from the Municipality.

If your insurer believes the Municipality is responsible for your damages, they may seek compensation against the Municipality on your behalf.

The Difference Between a Claim Through an Insurance Company and Against the Municipality

Making a claim through your insurance company means that you are taking advantage of your insurance coverage for your personal assets according to your insurance policy.

Making a claim against the Municipality of South Dundas is a third-party liability claim, which means you believe the Municipality has been negligent in delivery of their services including maintenance of facilities, roads, trees and sewers, causing bodily injury and/or damage to your property, and you are seeking compensation.

What is Negligence?

The Municipality of South Dundas has an obligation to maintain its facilities and infrastructure. In doing so, it must  exercise a reasonable standard of care. The Municipality may be found negligent if it fails to meet the appropriate standard of care, and that failure results in damage or injury to the public.

If the Municipality did not exercise a reasonable standard of care, the Municipality may be found negligent. In that circumstance, the Municipality will attempt to resolve your claim. Any compensation paid to you will be based on proof of damage that has arisen as result of the Municipality’s negligence. If the Municipality did exercise a reasonable standard of care, your claim will be denied.


Third party liability claims will take more time as an investigation will be conducted by the Municipality and/or adjusters to determine if the Municipality was negligent, causing damage.

Payment from the Municipality is not guaranteed. If the Municipality is found to be negligent, the amount that you would receive in compensation is limited to its current value, not its replacement value.

Claims Involving Independent Contractors

The Municipality of South Dundas provides many services with its own staff; however, occasionally independent contractors are used for services such as major construction projects, garbage collection, etc. If these independent contractors cause damage to others while carrying out their work, the Municipality’s agreements require the contractors to deal with these claims directly.

Fraudulent Claims

Fraudulent claims cost all ratepayers. The Municipality will prosecute all fraudulent claims to the full extent of the law.

What Must Your Claim Include?

Contact Information

  • Name of claimant
  • Mailing address
  • Phone number
  • Email address

Include the above information of the person submitting the claim if different from the claimant.


  • Date of the occurrence
  • Time of day

Description of occurrence

  • Briefly describe the actions leading up to your loss or injury

Type of damage or injury

  • Provide details of your damage or injury

Name of other parties involved

  • Advised if there are other parties involved in this occurrence other than the Municipality
    ie. Contractor, Developer


  • Provide photographs of your
    damages and the locations where the incident occurred.
How To Submit a Claim

All claims must be submitted in writing; this can be done by mail, email, fax or delivery to the Municipal Office. Remember to include all of the information the Municipality will require to properly process and assess your claim.

To submit your claim, you can use the following methods:

Regular Mail:

Municipality of South Dundas
Attention: Brenda Brunt, Clerk
34 Ottawa Street P.O. Box 740
Morrisburg, ON
K0C 1X0

Fax: 613-543-1076


Response Time

The Municipality of South Dundas will acknowledge receipt of your claim as soon as possible. An investigation into your loss will be completed by the Municipality or an independent insurance adjuster. Please note that it may take several weeks to complete an investigation. Once the investigation is complete, the Municipality or independent insurance adjuster will follow up with you on the Municipality’s position.