The Municipality of South Dundas
Popular Pages


The Official Plan provides goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for development based on the social, economic, and environmental goals of our County. The Official Plan guides growth, infrastructure improvements, protects and enhances natural resources, and conserves cultural heritage. The Official Plan shapes the future of SDG, which is important to everyone who lives, works, or plays here.

Official plans are implemented locally through tools like zoning by-laws, site plans, and plans of subdivision.

Visit the SDG Counties website for more information.


Zoning By-Law

The Zoning Bylaw is a more detailed land use regulatory document identifying specific provisions that may apply to the potential use of land (i.e. including buildings and structures). Council must have regard for Provincial Planning policies as well as for compliance with the Official Plan when reviewing development proposals and land use. Council may consider amendments to the Zoning By-law in accordance with the requirements of the Ontario Planning Act.

For more information, please view the SDG Official Plan and Zoning By-Law No. 2010-48.

Zoning Compliance Letters

Individuals, solicitors, financial institutions and other interested parties may request a written confirmation of a land use, building or structure compliance to Zoning Bylaw and other applicable requirements. Such a request should be directed to the Planning department.

Minor Variance

A minor variance is a process that seeks relief from specific requirements within the Zoning By-law. While a zoning amendment seeks to change the use of a property, a minor variance seeks relief from specific provisions such as (but not limited to) a setback requirement, parking requirements and lot dimensions.

Minor variances are ruled on by a panel known as the Committee of Adjustment. Before filling out an application, it is advisable to consult with Municipal planning staff to determine the nature and extent of the minor variance needed.

For more information on the minor variance process, please contact the Building Department.

Consent to Sever

One of the most frequent means of subdividing land is by consent to sever. The approval body for these development forms must have regard for provincial planning policies as well as ensuring compliance to the Official Plan and, subsequently, the Zoning Bylaw and other relevant requirements.

In order to sell, mortgage or charge a portion of your land, consent must be obtained through the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. In order to submit an application for Consent to Sever, you must first pre-consult with the Municipality of South Dundas Planning Department as well as the Planning Services Department at the United Counties.

For more information about the application process and associated fees, as well as to obtain the application form and accompanying documents, please visit the United Counties Website.